Kid's Swimming Lessons
Tuesday June 28, 2022
2:30 PM - 4:30 PM (Eastern Standard Time)
10 Bank Street, Accord, NY 12404 Get Directions
This event has ended.
Sorry, this event is currently sold out, tickets may become available, so try back soon.
Instructor: Claire Lischinsky has experience as a lifeguard and swim instructor at the Ulster County YMCA. She is certified by the American Red Cross in Lifeguarding with CPR/AED for Professional Rescuers and First Aid. Claire was a swimmer on the New Paltz Hawks swim team and on the Wallkill Varsity swim team. Due to Claire's experience at the YMCA, our classes will be structured similarly. Please let us know if you have any questions about which class is appropriate for your child.
- All lessons are 30 minutes. Please arrive at the pool 10 minutes prior to your scheduled lesson time with your child(ren) ready in a swimsuit and sunscreen applied.
- A pre-class potty stop is highly encouraged!
- All vehicle parking is in the main parking lot, at the top of the hill.
- Please note that the pool will remain open to general members and hotel guests during swim lessons.
- Parents/Caregivers must be in the pool with their infant or toddler during Water Discovery & Exploration classes and within the fenced pool area during all other swim lessons.
- All cancellations must be made within 24 hours in order to qualify for a refund.
- Additional swimming lessons will be offered on the following dates: 7/11 – 7/13, 7/24 and 7/31 – 8/4.
Water Discovery (6 months - 18 months): Introduce your infant or toddler to swimming by exploring the water in a fun and interactive class. Parents/Caregivers will focus on basic aquatic safety and discuss developmentally appropriate expectations/goals for your infant or toddler.
Water Exploration (19 months - 3 years): A fun and interactive class where parents/caregivers will work with their infant or toddler to explore body positions, encouraging them to move and respond to visual and verbal cues in the water. The instructor will emphasize basic aquatic safety to parents/caregivers.
Water Acclimation, Movement & Stamina (3 years - 5 years): Swim Basics develops personal water safety and basic swimming skills in participants of ages 3-7 years. Swimmers develop a high level of comfort in the water by practicing safe water habits, engaging in underwater exploration, and learning how to swim to safety and exit if they fall into a body of water. Swimmers focus on basic skills to propel and glide through the water with instructor help and eventually on their own. This stage lays the foundation that allows for a child’s future progress in swimming.
Swim Stroke Introduction & Development (6+ years, based on experience level): Once your child has mastered the basics (can swim 15 yards on their stomach with face in the water, swim on their back without assistance, and float for 10-20 seconds) they’re ready for the next level. Swim Strokes introduces and refines stroke technique in front crawl and back crawl breaststroke kick and butterfly kick. Water safety is reinforced through treading water and elementary backstroke. Swimmers in this stage will develop stamina and build endurance.
Please contact our Head of Children's Programming, Jess Konecny, at email@example.com if you have any questions about this activity.